Undergraduate Study

Choosing a course:

Undergraduate education courses

An undergraduate education course would be perfect for you if you are interested in studying education, or an aspect of education, but don’t necessarily want to follow a career in teaching.  This type of course does not lead to a teaching qualification, so if you do decide that you want to become a teacher then it will be necessary to do a PGCE as well.

Although there are a variety of education courses with diverse content, the majority involve the study of educational processes, systems and approaches.

Popular undergraduate education courses are:  

  • BA Education Studies
  • BA Early Childhood Studies
  • BA Childhood Studies
  • BA Early Years Education
  • BA Primary Education
  • BA Psychology and Educational Development
  • BA Special Education Studies / Special Needs and Inclusion Studies

Undergraduate teacher training

Bachelor of Education (BEd)

BEd qualifications will allow you to train to become a teacher whilst completing a degree.  All BEd graduates will achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), in addition to their degree.  Most courses include placements in school, giving you the opportunity to put your studies into practice and gain practical school experience.  The BEd is a popular route for those interested in primary teaching, but it is also an option for those wishing to teach secondary.

Common courses include: 

  • BEd Early Years / Early Childhood Studies
  • BEd Primary Teaching
  • BEd Education

Bachelor of Arts or Science with QTS (BA or BSc)

A BA or BSc with QTS is an honours degree that also incorporates teacher training.  This type of degree allows you to study a subject-based course of your choice, like Geography or Mathematics, but gain QTS at the same time.

How to apply:

As with most undergraduate courses, the official application procedure is through the UCAS website.  UCAS accept applications between September and January for courses beginning in the following September or October.


Full-time undergraduates studying education or undertaking an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course are entitled to apply for the same student loans, grants and bursaries as any other Higher Education student.

This means that you may be eligible for student loans from the government to help with the cost of tuition fees and living expenses.  It is possible to take out two student loans for each year of your course.  

  • The first is a Tuition Fee Loan which will cover the full cost of your tuition fees, meaning that you don’t have to pay your fees up-front.  Tuition fees vary slightly depending on the institution and the type of course.
  • The second is a Maintenance Loan which will help with living costs such as food and accommodation. 

As well as loans, some students may be entitled to one or all of the various grants or bursaries, which do not have to be repaid, such as:

Students can apply for funding through the following authorities in each region:

England: Directgov / Student Finance

Northern Ireland: Student Finance NI

Scotland: Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

Wales: Student Finance Wales

The financial help available will be different if you are doing a part-time course, or if you are an EU or international student.  For more information, take a look at:

Directgov: Finance for part-time students

Directgov: EU students

UKCISA: International students