Resources: Critical thinking
8 resources found for "Critical thinking"
- Balancing the demands of in-school placement with out-of-school study
- The affordances of mobile technologies are blurring the time and space constraints placed upon students studying at a distance. This study explores how to scaffold critical learning and document the ‘invisible’ struggles that education students face when expected to write their postgraduate research project while on placement within their schools. Students will make individual film diaries using flip-cams
- Critical thinking requires academic assertiveness
- It floated into my consciousness as I was writing about critical thinking. Thoughts come and thoughts go, but not this one. I felt that there was an important issue here that we might be missing in our other concerns about students learning and not-learning. Think about the following students:Ellie does not understand the instructions for the dissertation project that she has to do. Her tutor is a professor with a difficult manner and she feels...
- Developing a critical voice: liberating students' thinking
- This article presents five methods to help students to become critical thinkers: structured writing, developing argument, article analysis, using research in teaching, and a graphical guide to literature surveys
- Developing academic skills with a diverse student body
- This is an article from the ESCalate newsletter, issue 11, summer 2008, written by Tracey Johnson of the Education Support Unit at the University of Bristol. It explains how the university supports the development of academic skills in diverse groups of students and the particular needs of international students at UK universities. The article details how the Student Development Unit at the University of Bristol has trained over one thousand...
- ESCalate newsletter issue 8, summer 2007
- This is the ESCalate newsletter issue 8, published in summer 2007. Articles in this edition include: Inclusive presenting - TechDis, Critical thinking requires academic assertiveness - Dr Jenny Moon, Understanding education: back to basics - Dr Poppy Turner, Becoming a teacher educator - Dr Pete Boyd et al., The Trebullom farm project - John Burnett, An online exploration of learning biographies - Alan Bainbridge, Betwixt and between? - Phil...
- Teaching Critical Thinking in Education
- Presentation by Tony Brown at Bradford College, 8 September 2004
- We seek it here ... a new perspective on the elusive activity of critical thinking : a theoretical and practical approach
- This paper is part of the Discussions in Education Series and is writtern / produced by Dr Jenny Moon / ESCalate.This paper is in two parts: Part One questions what is meant by critical thinking, referring to the literature in some detail to build towards a descriptive statement. A particularly helpful aspect of Dr Moon’s writing is the link made between critical thinking and the development of the conceptions of knowledge (epistemological...
- We seek it here : a new perspective on the elusive activity of critical thinking : a theoretical and practical approach
- This paper is in two parts. Part one questions what is mean by critical thinking, referring to the literature in some detail to build towards a descriptive statement. Part two focuses on the practical side of the issue for staff and students in HE, finishing with some photcopiable activity pages