- Initial meetings clarified philosophy and this was reflected in clear mission statement.
- Video coaching was helpful because colleagues could reflect for themselves on teaching and how it could be developed. This was enhanced by discussion with college tutors.
- The involvement of College tutors, with specialist primary experience, enabled the teachers to build a better bridge in terms of learning and curriculum organisation between KS2 and KS3. The group who benefitted most were pupils in y Band who were working at or below level 3.
- 66% fall in exclusions of pupils in Year 7 on previous year.
- Impact on pupil's progress - Reading Ages
Group of pupils Average change in standardised reading ages in the first six months of Year 7
|Group of pupils
||Average cgange in standardised reading ages in the first six months of Year 7
|similar ability 1999-2000
- Impact on pupil's progress - NC levels (February teacher assessment/KS2 test result - level)
||% grades pupils made progress
||% grades pupils stayed same
||% grades pupils gone backwards
- 67% fall in serious behaviour incidents involving pupils in year 7 on previous year.
- Teacher's self-evaluations. All members of the Y Band considered that involvement in the project had improved their practice, and the skills learned improved their teaching with classes other than Y Band.
- Documentation which informed discussions, helped to develop expertise and contributed to publications e.g. the Handbook and Guidance for future staff working with Y band:
- Key factors which can promote effective teaching and learning; (Ref CS9.2 to Appendix or website)
- Generic aspects, for the school to consider, derived from analysis of videotaping transcripts; (Ref CS9.3 to Appendix or website)
- Whole school management issues; (Ref CS9.4 to Appendix or website)
- Features associated with effective teaching which may also support interactive teaching and learning; (Ref CS9.5 to Appendix or website)
- Extract from Handbook of Guidance: sections covering guidelines on lesson planning, classroom organisation, effective teaching and role of learning support assistants. (Ref CS9.1 to Appendix or website)
- Outline Programme for INSET (session 1) CS9.6
- Feedback from INSET (Session 1) CS9.7
- Feedback from INSET (Session 2) CS9.8