Finding out more
Section 5 - Skills development
'Skills development' looks at what you can do to enhance your skills; particularly presentation skills.
- What can you do to improve your skills?
- Information about how voluntary work can improve your skills
- Recording which skills you need to work on
- Things that can go wrong with presentations and how to avoid these mistakes
- How to produce effective slides for a presentation
- Advice and tips for delivering presentations
- Preparing a short presentation
Section 6 - Searching for opportunities
'Searching for opportunities' covers finding sources of vacancies and how to read job adverts to find out what the employer is looking for.
- Normal sources of job vacancies
- How to read between the lines of a job advert
- Alternative sources of vacancies, such as placement schemes and speculative applications
- How to look for vacancies over the internet
Section 7 - Building up your contacts
'Building up your contacts' looks at who you can get in touch with in order to help you find your ideal job.
- Who may be able to help you and how do you get in touch with them?
- Making contacts in your chosen company even if the job you want isn't currently available
- Professional organisations that may be able to help you
- Finding out what help is available at your local careers service
- How to make the best use of your careers service
Section 8 - Doing your research
'Doing your research' covers the information needed in order to make the right decision about whether a job would suit you and where this information can be found.
- What do you need to find out and from where?
- Researching a school or postgraduate course provider
- More detailed information about what you need to know
- What do you need to know about the area in which a job is located?