The times they are a-changin': researching transitions in lifelong learning. CRLL 4th Biennial International Conference 2007
|Date(s)||Friday 22-Sunday 24 June 2007|
|Venue||University of Stirling|
|Organised by||ESCalate and The Centre for Research in Lifelong Learning (CRLL)|
The Centre for Research in Lifelong Learning (CRLL) sponsored by ESCalate invites contributions to an international conference on the title/ theme of The times they are a-changin': researching transitions in lifelong learning. This fourth international conference to be hosted by CRLL has developed out of a number of research projects within the Centre which focus on transitions in different contexts. These projects include transitions in community based learning, vocational education and training, colleges and higher education institutions, learning at work, and learning throughout the lifespan.
The aim of the conference is to review issues which have emerged from researching transitions in different post-school contexts, an issue which has grown in research importance around the world in recent years, with the concern both to widen participation, and provide new opportunities for lifelong learning. This conference aims to examine empirically, methodologically and theoretically contemporary research into transition issues in lifelong learning in diverse contexts. A number of leading figures from the international research community have been invited to provide an analysis of the issues which have emerged from research, or which the research community should be addressing. Papers from a wide range of researchers will complement these keynote presentations. A number of 'Roundtable' sessions will allow for debate and discussion on particular topics.
The Conference will provide a forum for critical and analytical perspectives to inform practice, policy and research in these areas. In addition to the conference proceedings, papers will be considered for a proposed book based on the themes of the conference.
The Research centre is interested in all forms of learning across the life course in the post-school phase. We invite contributions to conference themes from across settings. The themes are:
- Inter-institutional transitions (school/VET/ HEIs)
- Intra-institutional transitions
- Inter-cultural transitions in learning
- Lifelong learning for career change
- Lifelong learning in transition to the third age
- Learning careers in lifelong learning
- Transitions between non formal and formal contexts (including work based learning)
- Transitions and technology enhanced learning (TEL)
Confirmed Keynote Speakers
- Dr Kathryn Ecclestone, Reader in Assessment for Lifelong Learning and Deputy Director of the Centre for Developing and Evaluating Lifelong Learning, University of Nottingham, UK
- Professor Parlo Singh, Head of School of Education & Professional Studies, Griffith University, Australia
- Professor Norton Grubb, Professor of Policy, Organization, Measurement and Evaluation and David Pierpont Gardner Professor in Higher Education, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Professor Paul Hettich, Professor Emeritus, De Paul University, Chicago, USA
- Professor John Field, Deputy Principal and Professor of Lifelong Learning, University of Stirling, UK